Thursday, August 9, 2012

i can go 3 speeds!


I'm excited to announce that I now own a bicycle! Soon I will also own a lock (which is something I forgot about when I brought my previous bike up to college with me, which explains why I had to buy a new one), and then I will be able to have an alternate form of transportation to and from work! I've been scouring and by scouring I mean casually perusing Craigslist but only finding things like mountain bikes the internet for a cute cruiser type bike, but coming up with nothing but expensive new bikes and crappy used bikes. Then one day a friend posted on Facebook that he had a lot of bicycle things he wanted to sell, and I jokingly replied "I need an entire bike, do you have one of those?", and as luck would have it, he did! Although I would prefer a women's frame just for the simple fact that they're easier to get on and off of, I found this bike to be almost exactly what I dreamed of; a stylish, vintage, cruiser-style bike.

Alas, I have yet to actually take it out for a spin. Partly because I don't have a lock for it yet, and partly because I don't know where to ride it besides to work. The Des Moines area has a pretty developed set of recreational bike trails, which I need to further investigate. I'm kind of afraid of riding through downtown (which is how I get to work) because I don't trust that people will see me and not hit me! I grew up in a tiny town where there really was no traffic, and that's pretty much the only place I've ever ridden a bike. To give you a better idea, I crashed on multiple occasions and laid in the middle of the road for 5-10 minutes without worrying about any cars. I need to brush up on my biking hand signals.

So, who wants to go on a bike ride with me? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment